The Lamp & Owl is looking to appoint an Editor-in-Chief for the 2015-16 academic year. This person will be charged with the overall strategic management of Birkbeck’s student magazine across its print and digital platforms.
The Editor-in-Chief will:
- Oversee the commissioning, editing and production of content across and between the print and digital platforms of the Lamp & Owl
- Seek to attract, develop and retain production staff and writers
- Ensure, with the Managing Editor (Print), the publication of at least three issues in academic year 2015-16, including a Fresher’s Issue to be published by the end of September 2015
- Ensure, with the Managing Editor (Digital) the ongoing creation/curation of digital content in conjunction with and in-between issues
- Organize at least three cross-platform (e.g. print, digital) editorial meetings per year
- Ensure adherence of managing editors, production staff and writers to appropriate standards (e.g. ethics, style, production schedule)
- Develop strategies, with the Business Manager and Birkbeck Student Union, for new revenue streams and business models
- Foster, with the Managing Editors for Print and Digital, the training and/or mentoring of junior editorial staff and writers to prospectively assume senior editorial roles at Lamp & Owl in the future
- Ensure that the Lamp & Owl pursues its mission to be a publication ‘by the students, for the students’ by maintaining editorial independence from the College’s governing bodies, academic and administrative departments, and student union
Candidates who would like to apply for the role should submit a CV along with a 250 word statement, outlining how they would fulfil this position at the Lamp & Owl, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Sunday 28 June 2015.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates will take place in the afternoon of 8 July 2015. The selection panel for will include representatives of the Birkbeck Journalism Society, Birkbeck Student Union and Birkbeck’s School of Arts.
We welcome applications from any individual regardless of ethnic origin, gender, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation or age.
All applications will be considered on merit.
Latest posts by Kittie Walker (see all)
- Vacancies – Managing Editor (Print) – Lamp and Owl - June 10, 2015
- Vacancies – Managing Editor (Digital) – Lamp and Owl - June 10, 2015
- Vacancies – Editor-in-Chief – Lamp and Owl - June 10, 2015