Managing Editor (Print)
The Lamp & Owl is looking to appoint a Managing Editor (Print) for the 2015-16 academic year.
This person will be charged with the day-to-day management of the termly print edition for Birkbeck’s student magazine.
The Managing Editor (Print) will:
- Manage the commissioning, editing and production of content for the print edition of the Lamp & Owl
- Manage the design and production infrastructures of the print edition (e.g. InDesign layout template, logistics of printing)
- Build upon existing design template of the Lamp & Owl to identify, plan and implement improvements that are realistic and feasible
- Organize and/or attend regular meetings (e.g. editorial meetings) to build and maintain relationships between Lamp and Owl platforms (e.g. print, digital)
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief in attracting, developing and retaining production staff and writers, including acting as a staff mentor where appropriate
- Monitor adherence of production staff and writers to appropriate standards (e.g. ethics, style, production schedule) reporting any issues to the Editor-in-Chief
- Assist the Editor-in-Chief and Business Manager in identifying revenue streams and business models pertaining to the print edition, as appropriate and feasible
- Liaise as required with the Communications & Activities Officer of the Birkbeck Student Union
Candidates who would like to apply for the role should submit a CV along with a 250 word statement, outlining how they would fulfil this position at the Lamp & Owl, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Sunday 28 June 2015.
Interviews with shortlisted candidates will take place in the afternoon of 8 July 2015. The selection panel for will include representatives of the Birkbeck Journalism Society, Birkbeck Student Union and Birkbeck’s School of Arts.
We welcome applications from any individual regardless of ethnic origin, gender, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation or age.
All applications will be considered on merit.